Saturday 17 October 2020

October 17 - Blackie Spit Park

I hadn't visited this location since March partially due to COVID 19 restrictions. I decided it was time to get back there, hoping to see some new 2020 birds. The trip was rewarding as I got some good shots and picked up some common species for the year list.

The first bird seen was an American Crow, formerly known here as the Northwestern Crow. That species have been lumped in with American this year.


American Crow - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC

The day continued with another common bird. However, this was my first recorded sighting of this bird in 2020

Rock Pigeon - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC - 2020 Bird #115















Another common species appeared as a pair of Double-crested Cormorants flew by.















Double-crested Cormorant - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC

The next bird was one of the better sightings for the day, a Red-necked Grebe not too far from shore.














Red-necked Grebe - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC - 2020 Bird #116

There were some shorebirds present as well.














Greater Yellowlegs - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC

A flock of Dunlin sped by.









Dunlin - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC

There was a flock of Wigeon in a tidal pool, I scoured the photo looking for a Eurasian, but they appeared to be all American.








American Wigeon - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC

Here's a couple flying over:





















American Wigeon - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC

The next bird was a surprise, but only in the fact that it was my first sighting for this species in 2020. I can blame COVID for this.














Ring-billed Gull - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC - 2020 Bird #117

I'm fairly confident of my ID for the next bird. It's definitely a Tern, and the size and colour of the bill make it a Caspian. This is the only shot I got of the bird as it flew over out to sea.

Caspian Tern - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC - 2020 Bird #118

It was a treat to see a Common Loon next. I usually see them on my frequent trips to Point Roberts, but I have not been there since early in the year because of the Covid border closure.














Common Loon - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC

The last bird is a bit iffy for me. It's overall size and bill size make me think it's a Cackling Goose, but I could be wrong. I'll count if for the year until someone corrects me. This website would seem to confirm my ID as the Bill size, head shape and primary projection seem to match.

Cackling vs Canada Goose














Cackling Goose - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC - 2020 Bird #119


This ended my visit, it felt like my first real outing in quite a while. 



No comments:

Post a Comment