Sunday 20 September 2020

September 20 - Iona and Delta Birding

 There had been some rare bird sightings at these locations and this Saturday was not a golf day. I had a little bit of luck, but didn't get any good photos to record the results.

There was an Eared Grebe reported at Iona, but I misread the alert and thought it was in the inner Sewage ponds. However these ponds were closed and this may be permanent as they may not be using the settling ponds any longer. When I re-checked the alert, I saw it was in the outer pond. Too late. So my only photos were these two.


Red-winged Blackbird - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I also saw some Scaup off the base of the Jetty.



My next location was in Ladner along 72 St where four Buff-breasted Sandpipers had been on the alert for a while. There were a couple of other birders pulled over at the location and I was able to join them. 

The sandpipers were there, but quite distant and constantly on the move. I did get a few poor shots at long distance. The sandpiper is in the background in this shot.


























Buff-breasted Sandpiper - 72 St Delta BC - 2020 Bird #110

This shot is not any better.

Buff-breasted Sandpiper - 72 St Delta BC 

There were a number of other birds in the field that looked like sparrows at first, but they were too large and had an upright posture. I concluded they were American Pipits.






















American Pipit- 72 St Delta BC - 2020 Bird #111

One more shot:

American Pipit- 72 St Delta BC

That was it for September 2020.



No comments:

Post a Comment