Wednesday 13 May 2020

May 4 to 13 - Burns Bog Birds and Bugs

As may have been mentioned in previous posts, I've been working from home since late March. I generally start at 7:30 AM and wind up the day at 3:30 PM.

Most days I make the descent into Burns Bog after shutting down for the day. I don't find the bog to have a rich diversity of birds, but every once in a while something will pop up.Here's a shot of the bog environment:



 May 4th was a day when something showed up!

I always bring my Nikon P900 with me as it's easy to carry and takes fairly good quality shots. For birding, it's difficult to react quickly as one has to use the view-screen to compose most shots.

On May the 4th I was challenged to use the camera on an unexpected spring migrant, a Wilson's Warbler about 20 ft in front of me. I fumbled and bumbled and got this one shot away before the bird flew. This is cropped a bit, but I was really lucky to get this shot.


Wilson's Warbler - Burns Bog Nature Reserve, Delta BC - 2020 Bird #84

I got one more poor shot as it flew back into the bog.

Wilson's Warbler - Burns Bog Nature Reserve, Delta BC

Somewhat more common, but still an attractive bird is the Song Sparrow. The western race is much more colourful than then ones seen in the East.

Song Sparrow - Burns Bog Nature Reserve, Delta BC


Song Sparrow - Burns Bog Nature Reserve, Delta BC

It was more of the common birds in days following the Warbler.


American Robin - Burns Bog Nature Reserve, Delta BC


House Finch - Burns Bog Nature Reserve, Delta BC

And the always welcome Spotted Towhee on the 8th of May


Spotted Towhee - Burns Bog Nature Reserve, Delta BC

On May the 8th, I noticed something colourful sitting on the Burlington Northern railroad tracks. It was either a Moth or a Butterfly. I have a guide but have not been able to identify it.



The colours on the photos may be over-saturated.



Any ID suggestions are welcome.

I was able to ID the next one (I think), a common Cabbage White.


Cabbage White Butterfly (?) - Burns Bog Nature Reserve, May 13, 2020

That\s the end of my Burns Bog collection for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment