Sunday 15 March 2020

March 15 - Blackie Spit and Serpentine Fen

As my choices narrowed for local birding hot spots, I picked these two locations for this Sunday afternoon.

Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC

I had not been here since mid 2019 and it took a while to familiarize myself again. It was also quite crowded in some areas. Social distancing was just coming in to effect.

I went down to the shoreline for a quick look. This view shows that there was lots of  free space available.


At the shoreline I was rewarded with a new bird for 2020, a Greater Yellowlegs. It was quite far out, so the photo is not very good. My shorebird list for 2020 will not be very long, unless restrictions are lifted by fall migration in August-September.

Greater Yellowlegs - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC - 2020 Bird #67

Photo conditions were not great, the only other worthwhile shot was this flock of Dunlin.

Dunlin - Blackie Spit Park, Surrey BC

Serpentine Fen, Surrey BC

I decided to take #10 Highway back and make a quick stop at this location. This was one of my earliest birding spots. I saw several lifers here in the late 80's and early 90's. I've not had much luck lately and today was the same. I think some of the paths have grown over, there doesn't seem to be as many places to look for birds as I remember.

I did have some luck when I returned to the parking area. Someone asked me if I was I birder. I replied yes, and they then told me there was a Kingfisher on a wire above the parking lot. I'm a birder, but sometimes not a very observant one.

Belted Kingfisher (F) - Serpentine Fen, Surrey BC
2020 Bird #68

This is one of the rare sexually dimorphic species where the female is more colourful than the male. She has the rusty colouring on the breast, the male is just blue and white.


Belted Kingfisher (F) - Serpentine Fen, Surrey BC



This ended my day on a good note.


No comments:

Post a Comment