Saturday 14 March 2020

March 14, 2020 - Last Visit to Reifel Bird Sanctuary

I suspected that this might be my last visit here because of the Pandemic. As I compose this on May 2, I was right. Reifel closed the following day (March 15th).

The birds must have missed the free handouts of seed from all the visitors at first. I assume they have adapted by now. I have to admit, it had become a pet peeve of mine as the hand feeding had become so prevalent.

My visit only lasted a half hour so there's not many photos to share. First the ducks. This Wood Duck knows how to pose to get fed.


Wood Duck - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I saw this pair of Pintails in one of the large ponds. They were missing out on the bird seed.


Northern Pintail - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC


Northern Pintail (F) - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

This sparrow was fending well for itself just outside the sanctuary fence. I'm pretty sure it's an immature Golden-crowned.


Golden-crowned Sparrow - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

And finally, I made my way down to the end of the East Dyke trail to look for Saw-whet Owls. I had not been able to locate any so far this year. It was a partial success. The photos are very unclear, but there is an owl hiding in them. I've provided a second copy with a box to show the owl more clearly.


Northern Saw-whet Owl - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - 2020 Bird #66






That's it for Reifel for now. Future posts will feature different locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment