Monday 13 April 2020

Easter Monday Walk on Boundary Bay

It was a nice sunny day with blue skies and I decided to head out for Boundary Bay. I wanted to walk a good distance without having to go all the way back to wherever I parked. So Edith agreed to come in our other vehicle. I parked at 104 St and then she drove me over to 96 St and dropped me off there. 

I was hoping to see shorebirds, but I was an hour or more late for high tide. So I just enjoyed the walk and took photos of the more common birds I saw. The first one was this immature Bald Eagle.

    
Bald Eagle (Imm) - Boundary Bay, Delta BC

It was no surprise to see a Great Blue Heron, they are very common along the Bay.

    Great Blue Heron - Boundary Bay, Delta BC

My next sighting was a first for 2020, the mid-sized falcon named the Merlin! 
Merlin - Boundary Bay, Delta BC - 2020 Bird #76

A short while later, I saw this creature crawling over the rocks, something the Merlin would have been interested in. If anyone knows what this is, let me know. I thought maybe a kitten, but the rear legs seem wrong.

Upon receiving my bi-monthly Marsh Notes magazine from the folks at Reifel Bird Sanctuary, I now have a possible ID. I believe this is a Mink, perhaps a young one.  

    Unknown Creature - Boundary Bay, Delta BC

I had reached 104 St and now needed to walk about a kilometre north to my car. As this sign shows, the road had a former name.




I saw a good collection of common birds as I walked to my car. I won't add too many comments on them.

    White-crowned Sparrow, 104 St. Delta BC


Bald Eagle, 104 St. Delta BC

Although they are very common, this was my first Brewer's Blackbird of 2020.

Brewer's Blackbird - 104 St Delta BC - 2020 Bird #77

Here's a couple of more shots of this species. The white eye always gives them a menacing look.



And here's a female:

    Brewer's Blackbird  (F) - 104 St Delta BC

This American Robin was very colourful.

    American Robin - 104 St Delta BC


I'm pretty sure this is a male House Finch just coming into breeding plumage.

House Finch - 104 St Delta BC

And finally, the most common of birds just as I approached my car.

Northwestern Crow - 104 St Delta BC

That ended this outing. The frequency of getting out would decrease due to the Covid-19 Pandemic over the next month or two.

One final note, if this post looks somewhat different, it's due to a major update by Google of the Blogger product. I'm sure they've added cool functionality, but they've made simple things like uploading images and formatting text more cumbersome. Maybe, i'll get used to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment