Saturday 4 April 2020

April 4 and 5 - Colony Farms Regional Park

With most places shutdown , I decided to try this regional park in Port Coquitlam. There had been reports of Mountain Bluebird here, which is a story in itself. I'll just say that that bird is still missing from my 2020 list as write this in May.

I was there on the Saturday and Sunday on this weekend.

The park is quite large with a network of trails that take you into different areas of the park. It is divided by the Coquitlam River and has a good marsh habitat along one trail. This is where the bluebirds had been spotted.


Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I made my way to the marsh area where  the bluebirds had been seen. On the way I saw a few birds.


Golden-crowned Sparrow - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I'm always happy to see a Kestrel. but the local birds are not too pleased.

American Kestrel - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I've said a lot in my posts about Gadwall being one of my favourite ducks. They were common here and I had to take a few shots.

Gadwall - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

Gadwall - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

And here's a female:

Gadwall  (F) - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

Once I reached the Marsh area, there were a few good photo opportunities.

Bufflehead - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

And in a marsh there are always Blackbirds, especially these ones.

Red-winged Blackbird Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I checked all the nesting boxes but they were all occupied by Tree Swallows . I was informed by a local expert on my next visit that they Bluebirds don't nest here, they just stop over on their way south.

Tree Swallow Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

The Gadwall liked this small lake.pond in the marsh:

Gadwall - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

Across the lake, someone pointed out some Turtles on the far shore. I was able to get this shot with my my telephoto lens.

Western Painted Turtle Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

One final scenery shot as i left, looking north. This might be Coquitlam Mountain, but I'm open to corrections.


With most places being closed, I'd be back here in subsequent weekends.

Footnote:
One one of these days, while I was being told the Mountain Bluebirds had moved on, there were two people about 100 meters away looking at some. By the time I got there, they were gone.!





No comments:

Post a Comment