Saturday 22 February 2020

February-March 2020 - Final visits to Point Roberts for a while

I'm combining my last three posts for Point Roberts in February and March. The border was closed on March 20th due to the COVID-19 virus. I only took a few shots with each visit, so combining seems like the best approach.

February 20

Only a few shots on this Saturday visit starting with a sailboat out on the chop.


The rest of the shots for this day involve a Harlequin Ducks, possibly the pair featured in my previous post.

Harlequin Ducks - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA


Below, an interesting behavior by the female

.

March 1, 2020

Upon arrival on this day, I noticed another photographer sitting on the rocky beach very close to a small shorebird. As I got closer, I saw that his subject was a Dunlin.

I joined in and took some photos.

Dunlin - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - 2020 Bird #64


I discussed this later with someone else who had seen the bird and he believed that the bird might have been injured. This might have explained it ignoring us.

The usual suspects were also present, but were far out on the water.

Horned Grebe - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA


Harlequin Ducks - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

This one's a bit overexposed but shows the ducks reasonably well.

Surf Scoters - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

March 8, 2020

This was my last visit for the foreseeable future. Both Cormorant species flew by to start the day.

Double-crested Cormorants - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

The next shot shows the white rump on the Pelagic Cormorant very well.

Pelagic Cormorant - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

And finally the bird that seems to be here always.This one is an adult.

Glaucous-winged Gull  - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA


That's it for Point Roberts for now, I've been birding elsewhere in March and April with mixed success. Importantly, I've been careful to avoid crowds and keep my social distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment