Monday 17 February 2020

February 17,2020 - Magic at Point Roberts

My last February visit to Lighthouse Marine Park was a special one. I saw the same birds as usual but I had a unique experience on this visit.

It all started with a dead Crab.



I'm kidding about that, but the shell did make a good photo.

The normal suspects started showing up, first a Common Loon.


Common Loon - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA




The flat head always interests me.

And then a Gull flew by. The plumage looks like a non-breeding adult.


Glaucous-winged Gull - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

It's quite common to see Harbor Seals and Steller Sea Lions here. I believe this one is a seal.


Harbor Seal - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I had walked southeast from the parking area and had reached the most southwestern point of Point Roberts. There were a pair of Harlequin Ducks close by and I backed off a little bit as they were heading for shore.


Harlequin Ducks - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Although they must have been aware of my presence, they kept coming.This is a rare shot that manages to show the males dark eye. Most of my photos don't have enough contrast to show the eye.

Harlequin Ducks - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I don't know if they were coming onshore to allow her to lay eggs or for some other reason. However, they decided to turn around and head back into the water. Perhaps they finally noticed me. This shot really shows the female well.

Harlequin Ducks - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

On my way back I took a couple of shots of other regulars.

Horned Grebe - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Double-crested Cormorant- Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

And finally some swans back in Canada in fields in the Ladner area.


Trumpeter Swan - Ladner BC

No comments:

Post a Comment