Saturday 15 February 2020

February 15, 2020 - Return to Point Roberts and Reifel

Another Saturday with visits to these two locations. They are relatively close to home and quite close to each other. It's about  a 15 minute leisurely drive from one to the other, not including any border crossing delays.

Point Roberts Lighthouse Marine Park

 I started the day by observing a different kind of flying creature, a para-sailor. It was a windy day and he was working it well.


I hope he doesn't mind me posting this photo, it was in the public domain.


I always seem to start the birds with a Glaucous-winged Gull. I'm also ending them for Point Roberts with this shot.

Glaucous-winged Gull - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Ladner and Reifel Bird Sanctuary

I very often see a Red-tailed Hawk along Deltaport Way or on 34B Ave in Ladner. This is not a great shot.

Red-tailed Hawk - Ladner BC

I arrived at Reifel and it was the usual weekend crowd was there trying to feed seed to the birds from their hands.

There was quite an interesting array of Great Blue Herons gathered together along the East Dyke trail.

Great Blue Heron - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I made my way to the end of the East Dyke trail and turned right for the Northeast Corner. I'd seen a Common Merganser out on the slough on New Year's day, and saw one again today.

Common Merganser - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I reversed course and headed back along the East Dyke. I had to decide whether to do a bigger tour or head out somewhere else. At the first fork to the right I heard a raptor cry and looked up to see a Northern Goshawk.

Northern Goshawk - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - 2020 Bird #60

I had seen the reports about a pair of juveniles being at Reifel, but had not seen them before this day.

This is the largest of the Acipiters in North America. We only have three species: the Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawk and the Northern Goshawk. It is the largest of the three. There are 47 species world-wide.



It is an intimidating bird.

I decided to stay for a while and got some shots of the more common birds of the Sanctuary.

Spotted Towhees - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC


Photo conditions were good on this day and I took some close-ups of the ducks of the sanctuary.

Mallard (F) - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Mallard (F) - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Ring-necked Duck - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Northern Pintail - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Hooded Mergansers - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I'm not sure if this Shoveler is an immature male or an adult coming late out of molt. 

Northern Shoveler - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

As I left, I got one more look at the Goshawk.That's one nasty looking claw.

Northern Goshawk - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC


No comments:

Post a Comment