Saturday 1 February 2020

February 1, 2020 - Point Roberts and Reifel

Lighthouse Marine Park

Another Saturday split between these two locations. It's hard to switch when there's so many birds available at these two spots. I usually go to Point Roberts first to get gas and then go birding. It was on the quiet side today, but enough for a few photos.

First seen were Harlequin Ducks, first a male and then a female.

Harlequin Duck - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Harlequin Duck (F) - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

On the rocky shoreline there there was a good sized flock of Sanderling, still in their Basic (non-breeding) plumage. They are more recognizable in this plumage compared to the Alternate breeding plumage.These were the first of the year for me.

 
Sanderling - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - 2020 Species #55

Quite an interesting formation in this shot...
Sanderling - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

This is one of the easiest places to see Common Loon in the Lower Mainland. They are usually seen in Basic plumage, as they head north for freshwater locations to breed.

Common Loon - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - 2020 Species #56


Not much else for birds on this visit, so I took some photos of watercraft.




Westham Island and Reifel Bird Sanctuary

I made my way to Reifel after a stop at Starbucks in Tsawwassen. After crossing the bridge onto Westham Island, I stopped to take some shots of Snow Geese in the agricultural fields.

Snow Geese - Westham Island, Delta BC

I think it was me that caused them to take off. They are made wary by hunting activity on the Island.

Snow Geese - Westham Island, Delta BC

I made my way to Reifel and was greeted by the usual ducks near the entrance. They were looking for seed handouts, but I had none to offer. This is a nice shot of an American Wigeon female.

American Wigeon (F) - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

My next shot is a reasonably good one of a Black-crowned Night Heron.They sleep during the day, so it's hard to get a shot with the eyes open.

Black-crowned Night Heron - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

One of my favourite small birds is the Brown Creeper. I do see them in my backyard in Fall and Winter, but this one was my first for 2020. The bird was constantly moving, so the shots are a little fuzzy. It in the lower center of this shot.

Brown Creeper - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - 2020 Bird #57

It's easier to see in this shot.

Brown Creeper - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

A close relative of the Creeper is the Red-breasted Nuthatch.

Red-breasted Nuthatch - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC
2020 Bird #58

Here's the common Song Sparrow. The colours really stand out. In the background is either a House Sparrow or female Red-winged Blackbird. I couldn't see any way to edit it out.


Song Sparrow - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

And here's the similar Fox Sparrow. This can be an ID problem, but the differences in the two birds are obvious in these shots. The Eastern versions of the birds are more similar.

Fox Sparrow - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - 2020 Bird #59

And to end this post, two shots of common, but beautiful birds.

Red-winged Blackbird (F) - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Mallard - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC



No comments:

Post a Comment