Sunday 22 November 2020

November 21 and 22 - Pitt Meadows and Delta Backyard

Saturday November 21 - Pitt Meadows

I decided to take a drive out to Pitt Meadows as this was where most of the rare bird alerts were coming from. There was a Gyrfalcon and a Prairie Falcon on the current report. After the drive out I headed for the rural area where the Prairie Falcon was last seen. I stopped on Connecting Road, one of the locations mentioned. I did find some birders who had just seen the falcon, but then Bald Eagles had appeared and the Falcon took off to the north. 

They suggested I try Ladner Road near the Golden Ears Golf course. I drove over there and saw a magnificent raptor perched on a wire. It was a Red-tailed Hawk. I got a couple of nice shots.


Red-tailed Hawk - Ladner Road, Pitt Meadows BC



Because of the sunny weekend weather, there were people out everywhere and I decided to head back home and maybe try again on my day off on Friday the 27th.


Sunday November 22 - North Delta Backyard

This was easier and involved less travel. I'd seen and heard a Pileated Woodpecker in our yard the last few days. On this day, it suddenly appeared at our bird feeder to partake in some Sunflower chips. I grabbed my Nikon and got some good shots thorough the window from about 4 - 5 feet. Here it is just before coming to the feeder.

Pileated Woodpecker - Backyard, North Delta BC


I won't add much more commentary as these shots are somewhat repetitive, each one is zoomed in a bit closer. First the approach to the feeder.



Getting closer:



























And the score finally. The bird would need to eat a lot of seed to get much sustenance.

Pileated Woodpecker - Backyard, North Delta BC

It took off a bit later, we'll likely see it frequently throughout the fall and winter.





No comments:

Post a Comment