Sunday 7 June 2020

June 7 - Surrey Bend Regional Park

I had never visited this Metro Vancouver Regional Park before. It is located just north of Highway 1 on Highway 17. It is named for the bend that the Fraser River takes thanks to Barnston Island.

This map shows the park on the left.

Surrey Bend Regional Park, Surrey BC


I was hoping to see a reported Yellow-breasted Chat, a large Warbler that is rare in the Lower Mainland. It had been reported on one of trails in the park. Only one problem, the trail was flooded and difficult to access.

I did not succeed in seeing the Chat on this day. Here's a photo of one that I took in June 2016 at Vaseux Lake in the Okanagan.


Yellow-breasted Chat - Vaseux Lake, BC - June 2016

I did see a few birds, including my second Willow Flycatcher for 2020.The first photo is good for ID and not much else.


Willow Flycatcher - Surrey Bend Regional Park, Surrey BC

I like the next photo better as the Flycatcher ascends to the heavens, or up to the next branch.  It's overexposed but produces and interesting effect.


Willow Flycatcher - Surrey Bend Regional Park, Surrey BC

There were some Cedar Waxwings in the park, and as usual they were posing nearby. This is one of the most photogenic of species.

Cedar Waxwing - Surrey Bend Regional Park, Surrey BC

Another creature that makes for good photos are these colourful butterflies.

Swallowtail Butterfly - Surrey Bend Regional Park, Surrey BC

I did not succeed in seeing the Chat. It is still on the BC Rare Bird alert with last sighting on June 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment