Saturday 30 May 2020

May 30 - Saturday Morning at Iona Regional Park

The weather forecast for this day was poor, but it was quite pleasant early in the morning. I decided to try to beat the rain and headed out for Iona Regional Park in Richmond.I arrived around 8:30 AM and the weather was cloudy but dry.

I figured my best approach was to go directly to the main parking lot and do a tour around the Outer ponds. I could use the birder's gate at the the treatment plant to do a quick check there as well.

The first birds seen were all of the common variety.


Red-winged Blackbird - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC


American Robin - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

This pose is quite unique, I did not tilt the camera to take this.


Red-winged Blackbird - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

This looks like a young Tree Swallow to me, it seemed unfazed by my presence.

Tree Swallow (Imm) - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

And another bird in the grass, which is more expected for its species.


Spotted Towhee - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

And just before I entered the sewage treatment grounds, a nice look at a less common bird.


Cedar Waxwing - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I ventured through the gate into the area called the inner ponds. Only two of the four ponds had any water. As was the case with my last visit a few weeks ago, there were some Teal and Mallards in the pond.


Mallard (F), Cinnamon Teal and Blue-winged Teal - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I went back out through the gate and heard a familiar call from a bird in a tree. The call I heard was fitz-bew (or something like that) making the bird a Willow Flycatcher.

Willow Flycatcher- Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC - 2020 Bird #94


I had time for only one photo as the bird was chased off by a Rufous Hummingbird.

Rufous Hummingbird- Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I was now getting close to the the Northern Edge of the park, which looks out onto the Fraser River.

There were some Swallow boxes here and they appeared to be mostly occupied.

Tree Swallow- Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

There was some feeding activity at a different box.

Tree Swallow- Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

It looks like the parents were taking turns hunting.

Tree Swallow- Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

A much bigger nesting box was close by. I don't know if it was in use or not.



And there was a third type of boxes in use near the river for the Swallows bigger cousins, the Purple Martins.

Purple Martins- Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC - 2020 Bird #95

I wonder if these Martins know they have the best box.

Purple Martins- Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I took some time to shoot a couple of other bird species before returning to the Martins.

American Goldfinch                                          Great Blue Heron

I was getting away from the river a bit walking alongside some trees. The Purple Martins decided to come and see me. This is my closest look ever at these birds.

Purple Martin - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

This guy has a military posture here.


He was getting ready to  grab a snack.


And I got one close-up of a female as well.

Purple Martin (F) - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

Later That Day

I was back at home and in the evening I saw a flash or Orange and Black outside in our back yard. I ran for my camera and then had trouble relocating it. I got only this very poor shot of my first Black-headed Grosbeak for 2020.

Black-headed Grosbeak - Backyard, North Delta BC - 2020 Bird #96

Here's a better shot of one taken on Grouse Mountain back in 2014.


That ends this post, the next one features Serpentine Fen in Surrey.

No comments:

Post a Comment