Sunday 12 January 2020

January 4 and 12 - Reifel Bird Sanctuary and Point Roberts

I'm putting these two two dates in one post for convenience as I only have one photo from the 12th for a new 2020 species.

January 4 - Reifel Bird Sanctuary

I picked up a few new species on this day, including everyone's favourite falcon.

But the first species seen were these attractive small ducks. I like the subtle effect of the reflections in the water. I'd seen them on the 1st so they weren't a new 2020 species.

Green-winged Teal - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC



Somehow I missed seeing Hooded Mergansers on the first. But I made up for that on this day.

Hooded Merganser - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - 2020 Bird #38


It's unusual to see this bird out in the open at Reifel, I sure all the ducks were aware of it.


Peregrine Falcon - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - 2020 Bird #39

It's worth another photo:


A couple of more from January 4th at Reifel.


Northern Harrier - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

And this elegant male Gadwall.


Gadwall - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - 2020 Bird #40


January 4th - Point Roberts

Only one photo for this section. The Red-breasted Mergansers are fast flyers and are usually quite far from shore, so I had to crop this quite a bit.

Red-breasted Merganser - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - 2020 Bird #41

January 12th - Reifel Bird Sanctuary

One last photo for this post. this was a very brief trip to Reifel for some reason, I only nine photos in total over a period of about 3 minutes. It was a Saturday and may have been too busy to stay.

These birds are residents of the sanctuary and I saw them close to the entrance gate. This was the best photo I managed.

Sandhill Crane - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC
2020 Bird #42


No comments:

Post a Comment